Why I Yoga

What is Yoga?
And why do I practice?
As many of you know, I'm more than half way with my 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training, which has been a goal of mine for the last couple of years. I've finally made this time to invest in myself and do it, and so far it's been amazing. We were asked to write an essay about what yoga is. I've decided to share why I practice here, because it's an incredible part of my everyday life.
Yoga can be defined as a practice of physical postures, mental, and spiritual practices. I have never been a church goer, religious, or anything of that nature. I don’t go to church, I go to yoga. Yoga is a space for you and only you.  It is a place to tune in to yourself, your breath, and what’s within the four corners of your mat. Yoga gives you a place to help you just, be. Opportunity; a set of circumstances that make it possible to do something, anything. 
My journey with yoga began when I stopped practicing gymnastics. As a USAG athlete, in a pre-Olympic program, gymnastics was my religion. I was immediately intrigued by what yoga had to offer. Practicing barefoot was very natural to me, so was being upside down. My strength and flexibility made it easier to try complex poses, and challenge myself physically. With the mental toughness I gained from gymnastics, the practice of non-judgement was one I struggled with. I came from a background of being judged, by judges. Regrettably, and I’m almost embarrassed to admit, I judged others by what they could do and what they couldn’t - because of my naturally competitive nature.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvXgraBn8Lt/

My intention for my practice changes based on what I need from it. When I have found myself stuck and full of self-doubt, I turn to yoga. When I am in need of a good sweat, I turn to yoga. When I need a safe space to celebrate my body, I turn to yoga. I don't do it to post cool pictures, I don't do it to "follow a trend". Yoga wasn't trendy when I started in 2009. I do it, because it is now a part of me, a necessity. And it has bled into the way I carry myself, how I handle situations that may make me feel stressed or uneasy.  Setting an intention has not only become part of my yoga practice, but also a part of my every day life. I practice because I love it, and because it makes me feel strong and present.

Until next time... namaste.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helsinki: Amos Rex

Israel: What You Need to Know

Top Five Favorites in Helsinki