Israel: What You Need to Know

Before coming to Israel, many people told me to “be careful”. “Take care” and “be safe” were the phrases that finished the conversation I’d have about traveling here. Everyone who said this, and I mean every single one of those people have NEVER been to Israel. And if they had, they wouldn’t have said it. In fact, all of my friends and David’s parents who have been, have only ever said that I would love it. And they were right.

Now, that’s not to say that my kind hearted family members weren’t saying this out of  anything but love for me. But truly, we are ignorant to the safety and security of this beautiful country. If anyone is prepared for danger, it is the Israelis. And while of course there is crime, and places that should be avoided, I never once felt the need to be any more cautious and aware than I am when I’m in New York City or Chicago.

You have every reason to feel safe in this country, because you are. Especially if you are using your common sense. Keep your nose out of your phone, and be present in the beauty of a place that has so much life, history, and pride. 

You really don’t see soldiers and police patrolling the streets with machine guns - unless you’re in the Gaza Strip... which we would probably never go to, come on guys. However, Jerusalem did have heightened security in The Old City, as any high tourist attraction should, in my opinion. 

I felt a connection to the people of Israel, who have Mediterranean blood pulsing through their veins, not different from my Greek heritage. The people are warm, loving, and welcome you to their home and dinner table with open arms.

The best thing that we can do in this life is to listen, and be open to the world around us. We don’t have to be afraid, because we can learn so much.

Jaffa, Israel





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helsinki: Amos Rex

Top Five Favorites in Helsinki