Top Five Favorites in New York City

New York Top Five

My love affair with NYC started in the Spring of 2017 when I would make frequent visits to New Jersey, and in turn New York. And while I've tended to explore within Manhattan, this past weekend I spent most of my time in Brooklyn. The vastness of New York City tends to be daunting. But, I've narrowed down my top 5 favorites in New York City.


#1: Touristy sites

Empire State Building

The observation deck at the Empire State Building is incredible, and one of many. The view captures the Chrysler Building, the landscape of Central Park, and further downtown to the Freedom Tower. This may have made the list because the tickets for it were given to me for free, but..... regardless it was a cool experience. The only downside is that you miss the view of the Empire State Building fro the view because, of course, you're up there. I haven't been up to every observation deck that New York has to offer, but this was cool and touristy, hence making
the list of "Touristy sites".






















Freedom Tower & 9/11 Memorial

Hauntingly beautiful, the Freedom Tower stands as a beacon of redemption and hope for New York City. Standing underneath it is enough to make your jaw drop. But the sobering visit to the 9/11 Memorial fountain is a must-see. And if there's time, definitely check out The Oculus in the World Trade Center. It's a transportation hub, and has some nice stores to shop. Not to mention, the architecture is breathtaking. 


#2: Food & Drink

Let's be real here guys, you're in New York. Anywhere you go better be good because... it's.. New York. To survive in this city, you have to have amazing food. Even if I did make a list of places that you needed to see, I'm sure there are places you would love just as much, if not more. But if you want some recs I'll extend some to you, but there's also this guide for food (Via Carota is very good), this guide for food (go to Katz Deli, and this guide drinks (can vouch for Clover Club). Or, just walk in somewhere you find on Google Maps and enjoy.

#3: The Subway

Though it took me a while, I figured out how to ride the subway alone when I spent 2 days in the city by myself. While it was intimidating at first, I found that this was the easiest and most convenient way to  see the city (when you know where you're going). I would like to take a minute to thank Google Maps for this. It conveniently tells you what line to ride, how many stops there are, and which direction you should be going. And while you may have to walk a little further to your destination, I would choose my $3 subway ride over NYC traffic in an Uber. 

#4: Museums

The Museum of Modern Art (aka MoMa)

Modern art is my jam, and this museum is located in a prime spot in the city - smack dab between Rockefeller Center, and Central Park, along Fifth Avenue (shopping). 

The Met

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest art museum the United States. And while they recently changed their donation-based admission entry fee, it's still worth visiting for its historic reputation. Not to mention, if you visit in May you'll get to experience the beautiful fashion exhibits funded by the famous Met Gala.






The Whitney Museum of American Art 

Located in the Meatpacking District, right next to the High Line, you can kill two birds with one stone.
Mao Series by Andy Warhol























#5:  Things to Do for Free(-ish)

Like any big city, but especially New York, things can get really expensive to do... between eating out every night, drinking, shopping, etc. it's very easy to rack up charges. But there are plenty of ways to experience New York City and not spend a dime.

Central Park

Grab some coffee, or a snack, or a great book to read and get lost in Central Park. My favorite spot, in particular, is under the big trees by the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir, better known as the Central Park Reservoir. I've taken a jog around it, and then sat down to enjoy some lunch and a book. You feel like you're somewhere else, even though you have the concrete jungle surrounding you. No matter where you make it in the park, you don't need to do anything special to fully enjoy and experience it.


High Line

One of my favorite places in New York, the High Line stretches from Chelsea to the Meatpacking District. It took me about an hour and a half to walk the whole way, by myself, even when I stopped to take pictures. High Line used to be a freight railway that was used between the 1940's and the 1980's. It has been recreated into a beautiful walking path with gardens and art embedded within the old railroad tracks. It's definitely worth taking a stroll on a nice sunny day with an iced coffee in hand.

Rainbow Room at Rockefeller Center

Now this one's a little sneaky, but worth it if you want to save a couple bucks. At Rockefeller Center they have the Top of the Rock Observation Deck with a beautiful view of the city. At 70 stories high, the typical ticket sells for around $40. However, a couple floors down, on the 65th floor, they have the Rainbow Room, which is a restaurant that has an equally beautiful view of the city. Now, you might not be able to get up there for "free", but you can go to the bar and get a drink for the same price as a ticket for Top of the Rock. Same view, same price, and a drink in your hand. But be aware of the strict business casual dress code - you will be turned away for wearing gym shoes and jeans. All in all, worth it. 

Shopping

Now I'm not a vintage shopper, but you can get plenty of this in Brooklyn. Though, I did love shopping at Awoke Vintage in Williamsburg and found a dainty bracelet that I wear every single day. I shopped til I dropped on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, and in SoHo. Remember, shopping is free, until it's not ;). But you gotta do it, it's New York.



Until next time... xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helsinki: Amos Rex

Israel: What You Need to Know

Top Five Favorites in Helsinki