Final Thoughts: Finland

My 3 month journey in Finland has finally come to a close. While I would have loved to stay longer, and continue to work at my school with 18 wonderful preschool children, I'm happy to be home. David still has a few weeks left in the season, so I write this from London.

Many asked how it felt to be moving, and not just moving from home, but to a foreign country. I always went into this being excited, and knowing that this was only going to be a positive experience for us (Dave included). I can't even begin to explain how this was the greatest decision I have ever made.

David and I would talk about this extensively, just reflect on the time in Finland - the easy, and the difficult; the good, and the bad. There is so much more good about this trip than there was difficult. I would say the most difficult part was living in a completely different time zone than my friends and family. The second most difficult was the language, Finnish is the most difficult language in the world - even though I did learn how to count to 100, and learned some basic phrases. Everyone spoke English, but to their core, they will always feel superior to you for your lack of Finnish and full-on foreignness. It's ok, no hard feelings. But, it definitely has changed my view of how to approach people of different backgrounds and language skills. If people judged me based on how much Finnish I knew, then people would hate me. It's not fair to judge, and I think a lot of Americans I know could take some notes from this notion that your way is not the best way. Giving people the benefit of the doubt is always in your best interest; traveling has taught me this.

The best things though, has been being roommates with David. It's been really cool to know that we are really great roommates, and makes me look forward to our future. Finding a job was also the best thing that could have happened to me here. I adore the preschool children I got to work with and fell in love instantly. It also helped me to finally meet some people and make friends. I have met some of the greatest people through my job at an English school, with all different backgrounds: American, Finnish, Spanish, and English. They made me feel at home, they helped me find a balance, and it made me feel so empowered. Human connection makes a world of difference, and had this not happened to me, I know I wouldn't have enjoyed this experience nearly as much as I was able to. I feel so incredibly lucky.

I can't wait to see where David's soccer career takes us next, or even just where we decide to go. I know that if this was such a success, there's only good things in store for the future.

Until next time... xo

Comments

  1. Natalie...great to read about your experience.....have you looked up Eliza in London?
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Helsinki: Amos Rex

Israel: What You Need to Know

Top Five Favorites in Helsinki