Stockholm


Sweden ya'll! It was a doozy, and yet another place to check off the Scandinavian list. This part of Europe, to me, is one of the most unique. Scandinavian style is right up my alley. And if you're not sure what 'Scandinavian style' is, don't worry I've included so many pictures for this post.




Let me just start by saying, I fricken loved Sweden. Stockholm is a big, diverse, beautiful city. When compared to Finland, I got a completely different vibe than say, Helsinki. There are so many more ethnicities, languages, and options for things to do and places to eat, etc. Coming from a very spoiled place, Chicago, I appreciated this. 

While I do still appreciate Helsinki as a city, Stockholm might take the lead. Swedes seemed warmer, they actually embraced their friends, and by this I mean they actually hugged or kissed to greet or bid farewell to one another. In Finland, I almost never see people kissing, hugging, let alone holding hands to show any type of affection. Don't ask me why that is, because I have no idea... Isn't that weird? I think it's weird.

Anyway! Ok so Sweden, I loved it. If you're looking to explore Stockholm ever in your life, or maybe you want to just live vicariously through this post (that's cool with me), keep on reading. Here are my favorites that were recommended to me or searched at my leisure that I (& Dave) enjoyed.


Gamla Stan

Gamla Stan is Stockholm's "old town". It is the most well preserved area containing the Royal Palace (yes, there is a King of Sweden), medieval buildings, and tourists alike. We didn't have the chance, but would have loved to take a tour of the palace at Museum Tre Kronor. We were advised that we needed to allot two hours to really explore the museum. Thus, we decided to forgo that experience and explore the rest of Gamla Stan. 
The Royal Palace

This area is totally touristy, but it was right up my alley, literally. We had fika, with great cinnamon buns, shopped (well I shopped 😬), and walked the cobblestone streets. There's also an amazing cocktail bar called Pharmarium that sits right in Stortorget, the oldest square in Stockholm. 

Stortorget

Södermalm

Being the good friend he is, Dave decided to go to his friend's match in Nyköping, which left me to explore the city all day on Saturday. I found myself in Södermalm, which is a trendy area that is home to cozy coffee shops and boutiques. Aka, my favorite things. If you get off the subway at Mariatorget, a great view of the city can be found at 
Monteliusvägen. The streets are filled with painted buildings, that reminded me of Nyhavn in Copenhagen, but they were all around here. 




By the end of the day, I looked on my Google Maps for a place to eat and found Woodstockholm. A small, busy, Michelin restaurant that is a furniture store and restaurant all in one. The menu revolves around a theme and changes every couple months; they were wrapping up their 70's theme. I was lucky to score a seat at the bar, given I was by myself. I ordered an appetizer, scallops and pike perch in a lobster bisque, and main course, almond crusted cod with chantralles in a lemon sauce. Throughout the meal a server came to fill up a small shot glass with lemon/mint/ginger tea - delicious - I had three!



Scallops and pike perch in lobster bisque

Almond crusted cod and lemon ginger tea (top left)
If you're ever thinking about traveling to the Nordic countries, please put Sweden/Stockholm at the top of your list.

Until next time... xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helsinki: Amos Rex

Israel: What You Need to Know

Top Five Favorites in Helsinki