Week 2: Warm Welcomes & Visitors

Before I dive into this post, I wanted to take a minute to thank those of you who have either reached out to me wishing me well on my move here or taken a minute to open my blog and read it. It has meant a lot to me to feel supported 4,000 miles away. When I started this blog, I started it with the intention of keeping family and friends in the loop with regular updates and include some nice pictures. What I've come to find, is a world of interconnectedness, of people interested in travel, of genuine people who want the best for me and have lended me a helping hand. It has given me so much reassurance that I have made a great decision coming to Finland, and I'm truly so grateful.

This week I spent time with my mom who visited a country other than Greece, in Europe, for the first time! We explored Helsinki, Tampere, and Valkeakoski together and I was able to navigate surprisingly well. We walked the piers, caught a boat ride, and enjoyed fresh seafood. Helsinki is by far one of my favorite cities. It has a certain quaintness, though it has around 600,000 people, plenty of shopping and restaurants. We probably visited around 5 different Marimekko stores. And if you haven't heard of Marimekko I suggest you explore their website. It's a Finnish brand that I think I could live in, and they threw me a follow on Instagram which was an amazing highlight of my life so far. 


South Harbor, Helsinki
As much as she says this trip was for her, to see where I'd be and make sure I was okay, she did so much more than that. I've truly felt at ease here, being familiar with the places and spaces - not needing to take out my Google Maps nearly as much as I thought I would. Finding comfort in the most foreign of places is thrilling, especially when it feels like you wear a giant neon sign that says, "I'm not from here!" all the time. But that's all part of the experience right?! 

Helsinki Design District
I think one of the coolest parts of the trip was getting to see David play in a game this past Saturday. He doesn't know this, but going to his games makes me feel really at home here. I don't know why, but it's just something that feels familiar and I've learned so much about him and this sport these last two years. My mom was happy to see him in action, and it definitely helped that he scored in the first 10 minutes! So shout out to Dave for bringing us here, and letting us explore a new place for a little while.


Näsinneula Observation Tower, Tampere

FC Haka Stadium, Valkeakoski




Until next time... xo

Comments

  1. So fun & Go David!! Love these blog post. Till the next one xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Helsinki: Amos Rex

Israel: What You Need to Know

Top Five Favorites in Helsinki